Join our team of folks making excellent yarn here at Junction Fiber Mill.
Mill Worker - Full Time
Posted 12/1/23, Updated 12/5/23
Start Date: on or around January 15, 2024
Location: 101 Maple Street, White River Junction, VT
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The Position: The Mill Worker position is an entry level position at Junction Fiber Mill. The individual in this role supports JFM’s manufacturing by running production equipment, scouring wool, dyeing wool, packaging, labeling bags and following safety procedures, all while embodying Junction Fiber Mill’s core competencies. The individual in this position is additionally expected to support larger Junction Fiber Mill safety, facilities and quality goals.
The Benefits: We are actively working on our benefits package but we want to be clear about what we can offer at the moment: accrued paid sick time and flexible scheduling. In the not-distant future it is our hope to offer health care and paid time off benefits as well. We also offer a significant discount on JFM yarn, the opportunity to use our facilities for personal processing after the training period is completed, and the option to attend and work fiber festivals like NY Sheep and Wool and Maryland Sheep and Wool with accommodation.
Pay: This entry-level position has a starting hourly rate of $16 for the training period (minimum 8 weeks). Once the employee shows competency in operating all machinery and is able to open, close, and operate the mill solo, pay will increase starting at $19/hour.
Hours: This is a 5 day/week, 8 hours/day position. Weekday schedule will be either 7am-3pm or 10am-6pm (we can be flexible about an earlier or later shift but candidate must have the availability to work as early as 7am or as late as 6pm). Weekend shifts are 8 hours and can have flexible start/end times. Candidate must be available to work a minimum of 4 weekend days per month after training is complete.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Follows all established procedures adhering to safety protocols
- Learns to operate and maintain picker, carder, pin drafter, spinner, skein winder and hanker
- Learns to scour wool and ensures cleanliness of wool ahead of processing
- Ensures accuracy of job labeling and tracking
- Learns to dye fiber in accordance with Junction Fiber Mill specifications
- Labels and packs yarn
- Learns to pick and pack orders using the Shopify system
- Learns to ring up orders using our Square POS system
- Ability to represent the mill to visitors and give brief tours
Minimum job requirements
- Strong commitment to yarn quality and safety
- Display commitment to Junction Fiber Mill mission, goals and Core Competencies
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Strong math skills
- Understanding of and ability to work with computers
- Communicates in a positive and professional manner
- Must be 18 years or older
Success factors/competencies for this role
- Open to continuous change, ability to recommend actions for continuous improvement
- Thinks and acts strategically, understands how role contributes to larger outcome
- Provides exemplary customer service to both internal and external customers
- Sets high standards for oneself, meets deadlines
- Learns from mistakes, receptive to feedback
- Effective communicator, listens and respects others’ points of view
- Participates in team problem solving and decision making
- Maintains a positive attitude
- Communicates effectively in person, between teams, and via email
Physical Requirements/work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs with assistance
- Ability to lift 25 lbs frequently
- Must be able to stand all shift and regularly bend, reach, and lift.
- Must be able to occasionally stoop, climb steps, climb step ladders.
- Must be able to wear hearing protection (provided) all shift
- Must be able to communicate effectively in a loud environment
- Must be able to wear a face mask while working with dyes
- Loud environment due to running machinery (hearing protection provided)
- Work with raw wool
- Because adequate humidity levels are critical to our process, the work environment can be hot and humid in the summertime.
- Understand that safety is everyone’s responsibility
- Responsible for providing a safe and ergonomically sound work environment, identifying unsafe conditions and correcting these conditions immediately
- Engaged in safety and compliance training programs and encourage 100% team participation in same
- Must refrain from wearing jewelry and loose or dangling clothing that could get caught in machinery
- Long hair must be tied back
- Must wear hearing protection when loud equipment is on (provided)
- Must wear a face mask + latex gloves while working with dye powder
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors protected by law. Junction Fiber Mill provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to allow them to participate in both the application process and during employment. Such individuals are encouraged to seek accommodations to allow them to apply for a position, participate in the application process, and meet the essential functions and requirements of the position.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.